Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Medical Exam

Jared and I decided to get more life insurance on me through his work just because it is so cheap compared to any other insurance I can get (apparently insurance companies think fibromyalgia has some effect on life expectancy making life insurance expensive to get for me). However, for spousal coverage, you still have to submit to a medical exam which involves a medical history questionnaire, a urine sample and a blood sample. A person comes to your house to do this an it's only supposed to take 30 minutes.

So the questionnaire asks probably a hundred questions about your medical history. I only had two of the things they ask about- asthma and fibromyalgia. For each medical condition you have, they ask about 20 more questions. In consequence, the medical exam took an hour instead. I can't even imagine how long it would take for someone who is even remotely more "sick" than me. I think I am generally a healthy person and it took so long to do the questionnaire. What about someone in their 60s who has had a few more medical problems? It would take hours to fill out that survey!

I guess I simultaneously felt less healthy than I really am (seeing as a medical history seemed so involved and took so long for me when I felt like I was healthy and it wouldn't take too long) and also thankful that I am not more unhealthy. There were also extensive questions about the medical history of my parents and siblings and I realized how healthy our family really is. Granted, we're all still relatively young, but still, we are so blessed to be in good health and not have any really bad health issues.

What I learned: My family is blessed with good health, despite me feeling momentarily like a "sick" patient when filling out a medical history :)

No comments:

Post a Comment