Monday, November 21, 2011

Bathtub

For our Christmas present this year, my wonderful in-laws decided to fix our horrible bathroom window. Apparently, in 1926, it was normal to have a full size wooden window IN YOUR SHOWER. The wood on the frame is completely rotted and the wood and slats under the plaster are as well. It's gross and unsightly and I hate it. So after debating whether or not to do replace the window with glass block or to just tear it out, cover it up and get a tub surround, we decided on the latter. My dad and Jared were able to take out the window, board it up and put siding up on the outside of the house (you would never know a window was ever there!) last night and this morning. Then today when my father-in-law Del arrived, he and my dad ripped the tile and plaster out of the tub area, put in sheet rock and applied mud to all the seams. Then Del and I went to Menards and Home Depot to buy the tub surround.

Our tub, which looks like a normal tub, is 64 inches long, meaning we need a tub surround that is that big. After looking at both  of these stores, we found that apparently the standard size of a tub is 60 inches. We're not sure if the tub is original to the house, but regardless, the space for the tub is obviously original. People surely weren't bigger back then, nor did they opt for bigger things than were necessary, so I can only assume that standard tubs used to be 64 inches. Well this is all fine and good except that we need to buy a tub surround that fits! We finally found one at a second Menards that is 63.5 inches long...hopefully we can somehow compensate for that half an inch with the other pieces. I never would have thought it would be so hard to buy a tub surround. The good news: the bigger one was cheaper than the one we were going to originally buy by $45.

The tub surround is going in tomorrow and then our bathtub will never look gross again...assuming I clean it regularly :)

What I learned: Our tub is larger than standard size, and I always thought our tub looked small...

No comments:

Post a Comment