Sunday, November 20, 2011

Learning

I find that some days I learn a lot of things and take mental note of them, only to realize when I sit down to write my blog that if  I wrote down the things I learned, they would each be a sentence long. Sometimes you learn a fact but there really isn't even context to write about how or why you learned it. Today I feel like I learned about 12 things, but none of them are worth writing about and I am racking my brain to try to think of what to write.

For example, I learned that you can freeze black eyed peas. We bought a huge bag and wanted to make them all and then freeze them to save us from having to make a lot of small batches because you have to soak the beans for a few hours and then cook them for a few hours. I wanted to make sure you could freeze them, and sure enough, you can. That seems too boring and trivial to write an entire blog about (as I'm typing this I'm thinking about other posts I've written that I'm sure were trivial and boring as well...so maybe it doesn't really matter).

As another example, I learned that scientists found a way to breed mosquitoes who are born with a certain gene mutation that makes it necessary for them to have antibiotics to live. Obviously they will not get antibiotics and will therefore die. The implications are enormous: if you can decrease the mosquito population in areas where mosquitoes carry infectious diseases like malaria and dengue fever, you could save millions of peoples' lives.

I guess these maybe are just as mundane as other things I've learned on other days, but today just seemed like a day of random facts without much substance.

What I learned: A lot of things, including that you can freeze cooked black eyed-peas and that it might be possible to kill off lots of mosquitoes to save peoples' lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment