Sunday, December 18, 2011

Perry Como

Today Jared and I went to my friend Angela's Christmas band concert at Holy Hill. I have never been to Holy Hill and wish we could have driven there in daylight so I could have seen and appreciated the rural beauty of the Wisconsin countryside. Nevertheless, we thoroughly enjoyed the concert performed by the Lakeshore Symphonic Band. I was especially impressed with the conductor's resume (a graduate degree from the University of Michigan will do that). I was also pleased to hear the concert ended by playing Sleigh Ride, the song my middle school and high school band always ended our Christmas concerts with.

After the concert, we were so graciously invited to eat dinner with Ben's family at the Fox and Hounds, a rustic German-like tavern a few miles east of Holy Hill. The restaurant featured 7 fireplaces and was decorated for Christmas. While the food was on the pricier side, they have a deal for buy one get one free dinner entrees. Whilst enjoying our dinner and listening to the Christmas music playing overhead, Ben's mom commented that Perry Como (whom I am only guessing was singing the Christmas song that was playing at the time) was a barber before he became famous. It was a random but interesting observation. I decided to check on this when I got home since it was so random.

Not only did I find out that this was true, but I found out a lot more. Here I was thinking that he was a barber as an adult and then made it big maybe in his late 20s or something. But no, Perry started working at a barber shop to help support his family at age 10. By age 13 he was good enough to have his own chair at the barber shop. At 14, he had his own barber shop! While he was very musically gifted from a young age, he had no aspirations to be a musician. Instead, he wanted to be the best barber in town. Crazy.

What I learned: Perry Como worked as a barber starting at age 10 and was aspiring to be the best barber in town before he became a professional singer.

No comments:

Post a Comment