Friday, December 23, 2011

Life on the Farm

As previously mentioned, my mom is giving me gifts every day for Advent. My gift a few days ago was a new game called Life on the Farm. The game was created to properly simulate life (expenses and income) on a farm and comes highly recommended by the Minnesota Farm Association. Today, Jared and I played the game before going to bed. The game took about 3 minutes to learn (according to the box, the game is for ages 8-108, but I think a 5 year old could play easily) and was really basic: Roll the dice, move the allotted number of spaces, do what the space says. There are farm expense and farm income cards to pick up as well as spaces to go to cattle auction. There are also spaces that say things like "A car hit your cow. Lose one cow," and "a hunter cuts your fence, pay to repair," etc. The winner of the game is the first to have a herd of 60 cows and the original $10,000 you started with. Since I have a thing for cows, I found this game fun but it was clearly meant for children. The only skill involved was deciding how many cattle to buy at each auction as you might not want to spend all of your cash in case you had a few farm expenses before you received any more income. Other than that, it was all in the roll of the dice and the draw of the cards.

What I learned: How to play Life on the Farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment