Friday, December 9, 2011

Chicken and Dumplings

When I got married I received a lot of different recipes from relatives as gifts so as to pass on traditional family meals. I had a lot of these in a recipe box already but some of the recipes came on full sheets of paper and I had yet to organize any of them. So at the beginning of this week when I was making the menu for the week, I decided to finally get things in order. I discovered that I had a recipe for my Grandma Miller's chicken and dumplings and realized that a)I had no idea how to make dumplings, b)I have never eaten dumplings and c)I have never really known what dumplings were made out of. So I decided to make this recipe.

Today was the day to make the meal and I discovered that not only are dumplings basically just dough but they are also really simple to make. I think the dish turned out well except that I used way more chicken than the recipe called for because I had it (you can always have more meat, right?) and didn't think it would matter, but then there was not enough sauce to properly drop the bits of batter into it. Instead I had to just place the dumplings on top of the chicken and therefore, the dough didn't sink into the batter and get all gooey and juicy. Instead, it all stayed right on top of the chicken, making a sort of crust over the top of the dish. It still tasted fine, but I guess it probably wouldn't officially be called dumplings. Now I know for next time-when it says to use three chicken breasts, don't use five.

What I learned: I learned how to make dumplings, even though I sort of made them incorrectly...

No comments:

Post a Comment