Thursday, December 1, 2011

Help at Last

After Jared received information a few weeks ago about his new health insurance options at work, we were annoyed to find out that to keep basically what we had before, the premium was going to go up $200 a month and the new family deductible would be $3000. Seeing as we are barely even breaking even every month now, this news was somewhat devastating. Who knows how on earth we will be able to afford this! There is a cheaper option that would keep our premium almost the same but  it is just a health savings account, meaning we're still paying everything out of pocket pretty much. So I broke down and applied for Medicaid. If we get it, we can choose the cheaper option and not have to worry about out of pocket costs because Medicaid would be billed as secondary and cover everything.

As I was online last night trying to check the status of my application, I realized the plethora of services available for people who are, to put it mildly, struggling. I realized we qualified for some other programs that will really help us out. I just now feel bad that I didn't look into it a year ago and we could have been getting this help for the past year! Oh well. Now I have to start the long process of applying to even more things, bringing documents in and interviewing to prove I'm not scamming the system. But man will it be worth it. Yay for being poor! Ok, maybe not.

What I learned: Wisconsin offers a lot of programs specifically for mothers and children, but also for families who are struggling.

No comments:

Post a Comment