Friday, December 30, 2011

Internet

We have Time Warner Cable for our internet provider. We have never had any problems whatsoever with them. However, we are paying about $58 a month for the internet. After getting half a dozen offers in the mail saying that you can get internet for $19.99 a month through AT&T, I decided to call yesterday. Right now we get 10mbps with Time Warner for $58 a month. AT&T could offer us 6 mbps for $29.99 with a $36 activation fee, and after one year the cost went up to $48 a month. I then called Time Warner to see what deal they would give me to stay. They said that if they offered me $29.99 a month, I'd get around 750 kbpm, which I don't know if you can check your email in less than 20 minutes with that speed! So basically, they could offer me nothing to stay with them, which I was quite surprised at seeing as I have been with them for 10 years. But tough economic times call for cutbacks, and I unfortunately don't have the luxury of being loyal at the cost of $30 more a month. So I called AT&T back and set up an installation. I figured that after a year, if they don't keep the price the same after I call and complain, then I can shop again.

Then today, I got a call from Time Warner Cable's corporate office. They wanted to know why I was switching and I told them that I could not afford more than $30 a month for internet. They then offered to continue giving me the 10mbps that I am currently getting, and they would reduce my monthly payment to $29.99 a month! The other thing is that a) there is no activation fee, which I would have had to pay to AT&T and b) after one year, the price only goes up $5 a month (instead of AT&Ts $18). So I decided to stay with Time Warner and cancel the AT&T install. And now I'm going to save $30 a month.

What I learned: It is a huge headache to be frugal. Also, Time Warner will offer you what you want to stay, but not when you call them to cancel. You have to wait for the corporate office to call you because they have the authority to offer you things that the regular customer service people can't. So if you call them to cancel/complain, wait a day or two after you've canceled and they will call you!

No comments:

Post a Comment