Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Liberace

My mom is reading a biography of Liberace and yesterday I learned some interesting things while talking to her about it. First of all, for some reason I thought he was maybe 10-15 years older than Elton John, but he was born in 1919, which makes him older than my grandpa (except that he's dead; Liberace is dead I mean, not my grandpa)! I had no idea. I knew he was from the great city of West Allis (that stallion!) but learned that he grew up in a house on National Avenue across the street from the Veteran's Administration building, which is a little over a mile from my house. I also learned that at age 2, he would listen to his 8 year old sister practice piano and then just play it back perfectly. Age 2 people. While everyone knows Liberace is a piano player, I guess I always saw him first as a crazily sequined man of the stage who also played piano. But by age 7 he got a scholarship to go to the Wisconsin College of Music. Age 7!!

What I learned: Liberace was a musical genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment