Friday, January 6, 2012

Far Far Away

Today, Avery's crib got moved down to his own bedroom on the first floor. Since we are expecting a new baby in May, we figured it was time for Avery to move to his own bedroom and we thought this would give us/him plenty of time to adjust and transition. He has always been either in our bed or in his crib, which is 15 feet away from our bed. Most nights he sleeps in a little of both. He has always been just a few steps away should he need me. Now that he is actually in his room in the crib I am feeling incredibly anxious about the whole thing. He is after all only 15 months old (as of today!) and has yet to ever even come close to sleeping through the night. I am beginning to wonder if this is all happening a little too soon. But then I think, it's probably just happening too soon for me, not for Avery. We are hoping that the introduction of a more distinct bedtime routine and having his own room will help him to sleep better and we will have less night wakings. Only time will tell.

In the meantime, I will lay anxiously in bed with the baby monitor on high so I can be sure to hear him the second he wakes up and needs me. I am so afraid he will wake up and freak out because he won't be able to see us and know we are right there for him. I have no idea how parents have their kids in a separate bedroom since birth. This is seriously torturing me. He's not just in another room; he's on a different floor from us! I would not have chosen this but seeing as our house only has two bedrooms, we don't really have a choice. It's either our bedroom, or his own bedroom on a different floor. This makes for one sad and anxious mommy :(

What I learned: I am not comfortable with the idea of Avery being in his own room so far away from me, even though I know it has to happen eventually and the sooner he's used to it, the sooner I can sleep better at night before the new baby comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment