Friday, January 13, 2012

Bagels

Jared decided he wanted to make bagels in our bread machine today. I guess I had seen the recipe before in the booklet that came with the bread machine but never once thought to make them. Seeing as we eat a lot of bagels, it seemed like a good idea. If we can make bagels at home, that could save us some money. So Jared put in all the ingredients for the dough and when it was finished, he formed the dough into bagel shaped portions. Since he had to leave for work, it was my job to complete the bagels.

After letting the bagels rise for 45 minutes, I had to boil them in water, three at a time, for 3-4 minutes on each side. Then I placed them on a greased pan and put cinnamon and sugar and half of them (yum) and cheese on one more of them. Since I didn't know if that's how you actually make bagels with cheese, etc on them, I figured I would try it. Then four of the bagels were left plain. I baked them for 20 minutes and they were ready!

Looks like the cheese kinda burned to the pan and the sugar kinda caramelized a bit but they tasted delicious. Looks like there will be a lot more bagel making in the future.

What I learned: How to make homemade bagels.

No comments:

Post a Comment