Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Halfway There!

Today, Jared and I went to my 20-week appointment and to get the ultrasound. I will admit that I was starting to feel a little worried because I haven't really felt the baby move yet and I just felt like something was different from when I was pregnant with Avery. Then when my midwife was trying to find the heartbeat, it took her three minutes! Finally she found it. This was such a relief and she said it seemed like the placenta was in front and the baby was behind it, which made it hard to hear/find the heartbeat. The baby was also way lower than she expected, which just means that it took her longer to find it because she was looking higher.

At the ultrasound, the tech confirmed that the placenta had implanted itself in front this time (with Avery, it was posterior), which means that every time the baby moves, the placenta acts as a cushion, which is why I haven't been feeling the baby yet! I felt so relieved that I wasn't crazy and that there was a reason why I felt things were different. The baby was also sitting breech with it's head up and sitting cross legged. The baby's feet were basically just sitting on my cervix, which was another reason I haven't felt any kicks. All of these things are completely normal, it is just very different than how Avery was positioned.

I can't believe that I am 20 weeks already! They did move my due date to May 25th (from the 18th) based on the size of the baby, but I'm fine with that-it means more time for them to not intervene!

What I learned: My instincts were correct that something was different with this pregnancy. The baby is also perfectly healthy and normal!

1 comment:

  1. Glad everything is going well! I can't wait until May!

    ReplyDelete