Monday, April 16, 2012

Blood Meal

This morning I met with my friend Sarah to make plans for our garden this year.  Sarah loves to garden but has no place to do it as she lives in a condo on the Eastside.  I however have a garden and am an amateur and need some help...so we are doing it together this year and I am so excited to see how much better the results are.  While we were talking, Sarah asked if we used anything to fertilize the garden and I told her that we didn't buy fertilizer but that we kind of have been using it as a compost area, so that should help (for example, Jared puts his spent grains from brewing in the garden).  She suggested that we use blood meal as it's really good for the soil.  I've never heard of this so I asked her what it was and she said that it was dried blood.  Literally, you buy a bag of dried blood (in powdery form) and put it in your garden. Gross!  I mean, I looked it up and it's totally legit and real and Sarah said that her mom uses it and her mom is an avid gardener, so I trust her; it just seems like the last thing I would think of to put in my garden.  But we are going to do it!

What I Learned: People use dried blood, popularly known as blood meal, to fertilizer their gardens.

No comments:

Post a Comment