Thursday, October 27, 2011

Walgreens, Beef Jerky and Economic Analysis

Why limit yourself to learning only one new thing a day? Here are some things I learned today:

1. To buy an 8.5x11 linen photo book from walgreens costs $19.99 plus $6.99 for shipping.  OR you can choose in-store pickup and pay only $5.00 and...that's it.  FIVE DOLLARS!  This is a new option available from walgreens and not all walgreens stores are capable of printing the photo books in-store.  Luckily there are several within ten minutes of my house.  Now I want to make photo books of all the digital pictures I've taken in the past 5 years.

2. Do not be frugal when it comes to beef jerky.  Instead of going with the highly superior and pricey Jack Link's today to satisfy my craving, I opted to spend an entire dollar less to buy the Steakhouse jerky (which I learned later is the store brand owned by Walgreens).  Big mistake.  It's not like this jerky was just less superior.  It isn't even good.  But my frugal side can't just throw it away.  I have to eat it.  Not only was I not able to satisfy my craving but now I have the added displeasure of having to eat the remainder of the Steakhouse Beef Jerky.  And all to save one dollar.  I hate being thrifty sometimes.

3. According to a 2011 study done by the Bureau of Economic Analysis, Americans spend per month, on average, and in this economy, $256 on recreation items (things like sporting events, lottery, amusement parks, going to the movies, tvs, boats, computers), $121 on clothing, $161 at restaurants and almost $100 on things like games, toys, hobbies, jewelry (basically items that aren't necessities).  Who on earth are these people?  If I bought myself $121 in clothes in the past two years I'd be surprised.  These numbers seriously boggle my mind.  Looking at the analysis, if I take the average amount paid per month on all necessary items and subtract that from the average amount each American spends per month, I'd have $1719 extra a month, and that's just me.  The survey is per person, not per household, meaning that Jared and I would have $3438 extra per month.  And that's assuming that I spend the same on things that the average person does, which is usually not the case.  For example, apparently the average person spends $42 a month on household cleaning supplies.  What on earth are those people buying?  In this cash strapped economy, it's no wonder people are having so many problems.  If only solving our personal financial shortcomings were as easy as not going out to eat, reducing our trips to Six Flags Great America and not buying ourselves a yacht.

What I learned: Walgreens photo book are really cheap if you pick them up in-store. Do not skimp when craving beef jerky. Americans are materialistic spendthrifts, but I guess I already knew that :)

3 comments:

  1. To point #3, on the other hand, all that spending is supposed to be good for the capitalist economy which should create jobs over time. If we all could afford to spend more, it would help others who could, in turn, spend more, etc., etc., etc. It's the circle of economic life as I understand it. (Disclaimer: I never took an economics class.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Point number 2: Honestly! Start making your own jerky! So easy, so much cheaper and SOOOOO much tastier!!! Promise. Give it a shot sometime. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. #2 seems to be one we need to learn for ourselves. When I was over for the wedding, your wise husband (who you should worship and hang on his every word) advised me not to skimp, and to stick to The Good Stuff (Jack Links). I chose to ignore his sage advice to my folly, and suffered the consequences.

    ReplyDelete