Monday, October 31, 2011

Ants

Today on Sesame Street (yes, I learned something new from Sesame Street), Elmo and Telly were reading a book with fascinating insect facts. One such fact they revealed was that ants don't sleep. I realized that I had never heard this fact before. So I did some research. According to several websites, ants do actually sleep but their sleep is so unlike ours that it can barely be called the same thing. It seems that most ants "sleep" together as a colony for 8 minutes every 12 hours.  For all the work ants do, it's amazing that they can function on so little sleep, if sleep is what you even want to call it.  Now if only humans felt rested after only 8 minutes of sleep!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/notesandqueries/query/0,5753,-1967,00.html

What I learned: Ants sleep for 8 minutes every 12 hours.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad I'm not an ant. I like sleeping too much to only get 8 minutes of psuedo-sleep!

    ReplyDelete