Monday, January 14, 2013

How to Make an Anglofile...?

I have no qualms admitting that I am an Anglofile. I love just about everything that has to do with our Imperial cousins. And so, as any mother would wish, I would love it if Ophelia wound up loving England as I do, so that we can share this love for many years together. So this begs the question-do I let my daughter decide if she likes all things British herself, or do I "brainwash" her from an early age to love Jane Austen, Downton Abbey, Colin Firth and of course, Harry Potter? Is that even brainwashing if it's awesome?

Growing up, most kids at some point feel like their parents are pushing them to like or pursue things that either they liked or did, or what they themselves wished they could do when they were growing up.  This isn't necessarily a bad thing as sometimes it just makes sense. For example, I wanted to be in band, so I was encouraged/made to play the trumpet since my dad did and they had a trumpet. Band, and playing trumpet, turned out to be pretty much the only thing that I liked about high school. Sometimes a dad loves a particular sport and naturally wants his son to play that sport so that they can have something in common. If the son wants to play sports anyway, a push in one direction isn't a bad thing.

But when is it a bad idea? I think sometimes it's obvious if you are making your kid do something they hate or despise. But what about when it comes to what they like? Can you "brainwash" them at a young age to have the same interests as you? And if you can, is that okay? Obviously it's impossible not to influence your child at all- you will inherently be a part of their lives, and they will see and experience what you expose them to. How far can a parent go though? Is over-exposing your kid to something at a young age brainwashing or is it just a natural part of growing up?

Basically, what I'm getting at is, is it bad that I hold my daughter while standing five feet away from our 44" TV and watch Downton Abbey for an hour? Or is that too much?

Because I've done this multiple times now. She wants to be held. I want to watch Downton Abbey. So I hold her, while I watch, and she is mesmerized, and inside I am bursting with excitement when I think about how we will watch Jane Austen movies together when she's 5 and how much fun we will have together when she is older reading great British novels and enjoying BBC miniseries together. Am I naive to think that I can shape and mold her interests this easily? Or, is it really that easy?


~

On a related note: no, my left arm is not ridiculously bigger than my right, although one would think that holding a 22 pound child for hours on end would build up certain muscles. Sadly, after two children that needed to be held a lot, I have found this not to be the case. My arm and back, instead, suffer greatly from extended holding of said heavy children. However, I wouldn't trade that for anything :)

2 comments:

  1. Z knows that the way to my heart is to suggest that we watch Sense and Sensibility together. (She is partly convinced that Margaret and her treehouse are the stars of the story.)

    Time will tell whether this sticks, but yeah, I think the control we exert over what they're exposed to now has a definite effect on what they like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would also trust that she'd come around on her own, too. How could she not love the BBC, Pride and Prejudice, and Hermione?! It's just not possible. Plus, she's got me for a godmother...which will only aid in surrounding dear Ophelia with all things British!

    ReplyDelete